The Hospital Bag Essentials Check List:
Having a baby can be very overwhelming, especially if you are a first time mom. Not only do you have to worry about packing for yourself but also for your new baby and sometimes your husband! I have compiled a hospital check list that will help new moms prepare their hospital bag without packing too much (guilty!) or too little. I have linked some of my favorite pieces to help as well. I hope this list helps all of the expectant mother’s out there. Because you never know what you may need 🙂
The Over Sized Travel Bag
This is the bag that I use. It fits everything and the vegan leather feels great. Plus it’s super chic.
Three Pairs of Comfy Warm Socks
I will labor with socks on, I hate having cold feet. I’ll also sleep with socks on especially in the hospital..
I hate hospital gowns so this is a pretty alternative. I used this for both my deliveries and I’ll be using it again very soon!
Two Pairs of Comfortable Pajamas
I personally can’t sleep well at night if I am not wearing my own pajama’s so I always bring 2 pairs with me. These are super comfy and priced great.
Three Tank Tops
These are hands down my favorite layering tank. It’s longer and I love it. I have so many because they are at a great price point.
Two Long Sleeve Shirts
The perfect long sleeve lounge shirt. Loose and long fitting.
To slip on during labor or at night. I love this robe. It’s the perfect material.
Three Pairs of Sweat Pants or Joggers
I prefer joggers since they are clenched at the bottoms. I am one of those people who like to get dressed during the day even if it’s in sweats. You will be sore no matter if you have a natural or c-section birth so there is no need to be tripping up on your pants. Joggers are just easier to get around in. These are one of my favorite pairs. I will be wearing a pair home from the hospital as well.
Over Sized Cardigan
Good to throw on during the day. Or for your going home outfit.
I prefer slipper socks since they won’t slip off.
You will want these for the shower.
Shoes to Leave the Hospital
I’ve had a baby in the summer and wore flip flops home from the hospital, I’ve had a baby in the fall and wore UGG booties home and I’m about to have a baby in the winter which means I’ll wear some sort of UGG boot home. Either way, chose footwear that slip on and off easily since you may be a little sore to bend and tie sneakers.
They are provided in the hospital but beware they are gigantic! I prefer these.
Don’t knock em’ until you try em’. The hospital gives you this lovely gauze underwear. Which is awful in my opinion…It’s a messy business birthing a baby and there’s no way around it, depends plus a pad just make it easier…
If you are nursing this is a must have, your nips will be on fire for the first few days and this stuff is a life savor.
This one is personal favorite of mine.
A Comfy Blanket
This may sound silly now but hospital linens and blankets leave much to be desired. I always back blanket for me and my husband who never leaves my side 🙂
Travel Sized Toiletries
No need to pack the big guys. Below you will find a list of travel size toiletries and other miscellaneous items I pack.
- Lip balm because you wont believe how dry your lips will get during labour.
- Body wash
- Shampoo + Conditioner
- Toothbrush, paste and floss
- Hairbrush and hair elastics
- Travel Mirror
- Contact case
- Face Cream
- Eye Cream
- Body Lotion
- Hand Cream
- Glasses and Contacts (if you wear them)
- Cell Phone
- Music Playlist or Pandora App Downloaded
- Insurance Card
- Divers License
- Small Thank you gifts for the nurses- I usually buy 3 medium boxes of Godiva Chocolates. I’ll give one to the Labour and Delivery nurses, then to my nurses in my patient room (the night shift and the morning.) I will also send my Doctor’s a little edible arrangement to their office.
- Cord Blood Banking Kit if you are doing it.
The hospital will provide your baby with all of the essentials. A cute little hat, swaddle blankets, a long sleeve undershirt, plus diapers, pacifier and formula. Below I have listed what I bring for my new bundle.
- Newborn Hats- Because they are so much cuter then the hospital ones.
- Naturesutton BPA Free Pacifier – I prefer this pacifier over the ones the hospital gives.
- Two Swaddle Blankets- When taking pictures I prefer my own plus like the newborn hats they are much cuter.
- Going Home Outfit- This depends on when your baby is born. Since this baby is going to be a winter baby in New Jersey I will be bringing a long sleeve onsie, warm footie pajama’s, warm one piece to go over with a hood and footies (think kid from the Christmas Story) and of course a warm hat. Also a blanket to cover him with.
- Formula- If you are going this route the hospital usually carries one or two brands but if you want a specific brand or organic brand I would bring a few bottle just incase.
Make sure dad packs for himself too! My husband will usually pack a change of clothes and deodorant since we live relatively close to the hospital so he will sneak out when family comes to see the baby for a quick shower and change. But for those who can’t leave below is a small list of items that dad will need.
- 2-3 Pairs of pants, sweats, or shorts depending on the area you live in.
- 2-3 Shirts
- 1-2 Sweat shirts or Zip Ups.
- 2-3 Pairs of underwear
- 2-3 Pairs of socks
- Oh and make sure he brings his balls, he’s going to need them 😉
There you have it. I hope this list helps all the expectant mommy’s out there stress a little less about packing their hospital bag. Best of luck to all of you and many blessings on your new babies!
If you have any questions just comment below and I’ll be happy to answer!
Thanks for stopping by!